Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Jon & Kat's European Vacation Video



My wife and I were afforded the luxury of time, which allowed us to take a little visit to Europe this September (Sept 4 - Sept 25, 2009). For photos, we had our iphones, and a point and shoot Nikon Coolpix which I had bought Kat for her birthday last year. I certainly would NOT recommend the Nikon to anyone who asked - the lens was pretty lame, and it has an annoying habit of focusing on the least important object in the frame - but it is what we had.

I didn't take too many generic landscape or site photos, as I know far better pictures of the Pantheon exist, taken by better photographers, with superior gear. My hope is to merge our panorama shots (which prove we were there!) with some good quality creative commons shots (flickr is chock full of these) along with the journal I kept on the trip into a Blurb coffee table book.

I was just messing about on my new imac in the interim, trying to organize the shots and video clips, getting a handle on the mac applications (I have always been a PC fellow) - and this movie just kind of came together. I used iMovie, which is fantastic and very easy to use. I listed out the events in order, and just dropped them on to the timeline. The 2 things that really helped were the theme - which automatically establishes the picturebook transitions and feel, and the Indiana Jones maps, which are quick to implement, and awesome.

The music is from Yann Tiersen's wonderful Amelie soundtrack.

No comments: